FANtasy Baseball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Point scoring system

4 posters

Go down

Point scoring system Empty Point scoring system

Post by MikeMangels Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:58 am

I would like to use a points system.  I think that doing so allows us to value the individual contributions of players as opposed to more team or lineup dependent systems like the traditional rotisserie categories.  In using a points system, the goal is to select the best players that will contribute the most value as opposed to attempting to achieve the appropriate balance, or something like that.  I would also like us to use point values that more closely approximate the value of an independent event in a baseball game.  (I know that seemed like gibberish, so here's a post that explains it and you can click around for even more information: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  How those scores would correspond follow below:
Hitting Values

At Bat: -1.0
Hit:    5.6
Double:   2.9 (In this and the next three, this sum would be added to the value of the hit)
Triple:   5.7
Home Run:   9.4
Walk or Hit by Pitch:   3.0
Stolen Bases:    1.9
Caught Stealing:    -2.8

Pitching Weights:

Innings Pitched:    5.0
Strikeout:   2.0
Walk and Hit by Pitch:   -3.0
Home Run:   -13.0
Save:   5.0
Hold:    4.0

Let me know what you all think.

MikeMangels
Admin

https://fanball.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Point scoring system Empty Re: Point scoring system

Post by D'Argenio Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:14 pm

This is awesome! Wouldn't change anything.

D'Argenio

Back to top Go down

Post by finsanity88 Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:48 am

I'm all for this. I just would suggest that we find some very clear way of explaining this kind of system, especially since it changes how you'd draft people from, say, a normal player rankings sheet

finsanity88

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeMangels Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:40 pm

Any suggestions on how to explain that Sam? I know that it definitely values players different than any of the ranking systems will do, but isn't figuring out the differences part of the skill of the game? Wouldn't you potentially be prejudicing players by explaining the differences? Maybe a brief statement that these are not normal scoring settings would do?

MikeMangels
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jdack Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:48 pm

This is a crazy point system that has a lot of negatives. I am very concerned with the -13 for a HR and no negative points for earned runs...

Is there a chance we can at least round the point system to even points. Decimal points seem a bit crazy.

I am with Sam, I'm not sure the average fantasy player is going to understand how these points will affect a players value.... heck, I'm not sure I would be able to figure it out without a computer program.
Does anyone know if there are sites that we could input these points and get a ranking of players?

jdack

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeMangels Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:59 pm

jdack wrote:
This is a crazy point system that has a lot of negatives. I am very concerned with the -13 for a HR and no negative points for earned runs...

This system is based on FIP instead of ERA. My thinking was to completely eliminate the role of defenses behind a pitcher. My feeling was that Chris Young should not get a bump because of the defense behind him, but if other folks would prefer pitching to be based off of ERA then we can do it that way. Let me know soon. There is a proposed point system on that same website listed above for ERA based scoring.

jdack wrote:
Is there a chance we can at least round the point system to even points. Decimal points seem a bit crazy.

We can round it, but the idea here was to use the exact weights as calculated by advanced sabermetric research of an individual player's contribution toward run scoring and run prevention. Rounding them off would be easier to calculate, but it would also take away some of the clarity. I'm open to either though based on a majority of people's input.

jdack wrote:
I am with Sam, I'm not sure the average fantasy player is going to understand how these points will affect a players value.... heck, I'm not sure I would be able to figure it out without a computer program.
Does anyone know if there are sites that we could input these points and get a ranking of players?

My guess is that rotowire would let you do it, but I think there's a couple of sites that let you input scoring settings. The other thing that you can do is just to create a spreadsheet.

MikeMangels
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down